Sunday, March 13, 2005

Sunny Morning

I am reminded this morning of the first time I saw a hummingbird. It was at our old house, many years ago.

It was a gorgeous sunny morning, just like today. Softie had kept the bedroom window open overnight (she called it "good sleeping weather") and I spent most of the night and early morning dozing against the windowscreen.

Softie was still asleep and I had been gazing at her from above, trying intently to wake her up with my staring powers. It was nearly breakfast time, afterall. As I sat staring I heard a strange buzzing noise. It was a noise I had never heard before. I peered out the screen to see a tiny, odd looking bird hovering outside the window. It had a very long beak, and had taken a shine to the windowbox flowers. I couldn't take my eyes from it. Such a strange looking creature! The buzzing sound it made seemed to be from it's wings, which flapped so rapidly that they were merely a blur.

As quickly as it had appeared, it darted away. I looked round at Softie, who was now laying there with her eyes open, looking at me. I gave her a questioning look--wide eyes and whiskers pointing straight downward. She laughed at me!

She really laughed too--big belly laughs. She said, between giggles, "That was a hummingbird, kittyboy. Oh you should see the look on your face!" and then she laughed some more.

My pride was injured. I do not like to be laughed at. I leapt from the windowsill and landed squarely on Softie's tummy, which made her utter "ooof!" and then I raced out the bedroom door and down the hall to the lounge. I ignored her for the rest of the day.

I wonder when the good sleeping weather will return? I want to doze in open windows and look for hummingbirds again.

No comments: